background

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Krispy Kreme Challenge 2013

Well, better late than never I suppose. Last week didn’t go as planned and I never got this post up!  That doesn’t mean we didn’t have a blast.

After basically 12 months of hype and a few months of training, it is time!  Notice that the zero is a donut!




12 donuts. 5 miles. 60 minutes.

In the days leading up to the race, Will was all talk. When I asked him how many donuts he was going to eat, he told me he was planning on bringing extra money because he thought he would eat more than 12!!

The guys before they headed out to the race.


Us girls before we finally made our way downtown. Avery wanted to wear her shirt backwards. Honestly, since we were both in coats the whole time, it didn’t matter that our shirts matched the boys!

Avery and I made our way downtown and easily found a parking place close to Krispy Kreme.  We found a good spot to stand and got our signs already for the boys! Avery worked so hard on her sign, which included a bear for her Bubba.


Yes, Sunshine went with us. We obviously forgot her coat. I also caught a lot of grief from Avery for not making Sunny a M&M's shirt.

Here come our boys!

A few pics of other participants...



Matt & Will sit down and start in on their donuts.



I love this pic of Will and all of the half-eaten donuts. It’s like he thought “well, maybe the next one will be better”…..ha!

And then Avery has to potty. Like a minute after the boys get to us.  While we were only 100 yards from Krispy Kreme (aka the nearest restroom), there were literally THOUSANDS of people between us and the potty.  Many of them puking. It was awesome. It took Avery, the stroller and I a good 10 minutes just to weave our way to the restroom.  Avery actually had to get out of the stroller so I could carry it over people. It was a bad time!

We make it inside only to find a line. You would think the 2 gals in front of us would let a 3 year old go in front of them but noooooo……..  We stand there a good 5 minutes without moving. Finally a GUY emerges from the women’s room, all pale and apologetic.  When we finally get in there, I understood his apologies….let’s just say the toilet was clogged and I was heaving and gagging.  I am fairly certain I came closer to puking that day than Matt or Will did!!!  It takes Avery forever to do her business and wash her hands but finally we emerge to fresh air.  And a line of probably 20 women waiting.

I buy her a heart sprinkle donut and we head back out to find the boys.

Of course they have left by this point so we head to the car so we can drive to the finish line.  We are searching for a parking place at the finish line when I get a text from Matt saying they are done. What!?!?!  I honestly didn’t even think they would finish and here they have finished and I didn’t even see it. I was SO SAD. SO SAD.

But immensely proud too! Will put his mind to this truly a year ago and he did it.  So while he didn’t finish the prescribed amount of donuts, he is 6, so I don’t think he should have to. 12 donuts piled up is taller than he is from waist to head!! He did finish first in the 6 year old’s though! And he ran the entire thing except for about 1/8 of a mile where he simultaneously rode on Matt’s back/choked Matt.

Final stats:
Minutes: 73
# of miles: 5
# of donuts-Matt: 13
# of donuts-Will: 6
# of vomits: ZERO!!!

In true kid fashion, as soon as Will got in the car he asked what was for lunch. And then right after lunch, he went to a birthday party where he played basketball for an hour, had 2 pieces of cake and Fanta and Sprite to drink. Makes me want to vomit just thinking about his day.

Later than night I asked him if he was going to do it again next year….he said he might take a year off! Ha!!!

Between the race and the birthday party, Avery really missed her Bubba that Saturday.  I caught them having a few snuggles later than evening right before bath time. When she is in the mood (always questionable), she loves for Bubba to hold her. Hell, she loves for anyone to hold her!!

1 comment:

  1. YAY FOR TEAM MODLIN!! I was raised on KK doughnuts. I went to Murphy Elementary just up the road from the original KK store. Every afternoon when we walked home we'd stop at the KK window watching the doughnuts come off the conveyor belt. and every afternoon the folks inside always gave us doughnut holes. HOT NOW!!!

    WELL I MUST BE HONEST THE BATHROOM THING WOULD KEEP ME AWAY NEXT YEAR. BLESS YOUR HEART I WOULD HAVE GAGGED TOO.

    THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL POST
    LOVE CECILIA

    ReplyDelete