background

Monday, November 5, 2012

Mr. Marathon Mile


Through his after-school program with the YMCA, Will has gotten into running, participating in running clinics in the afternoon.  The Y is connected to the City of Oaks Marathon and even sponsors the kids one mile fun run, also known as the Marathon Mile.   The Y was encouraging students to sign up so Will asked me about and after I did some digging, Matt and I agreed.

Thank goodness for Daylight Savings Time because we needed that extra hour just to help us not have to get up so early for the race!!!!  He was up at 5 something, yelling from his room about his sock having a hole in it. From the comfort of my own bed, I yelled back to throw it away and get a new pair. Next thing I know, there is a foot in my face, showing me the (nonexistent) hole. I repeated my instructions again and he said “No, that’s okay. I’ll wear them”. ?????

A quick breakfast and a number pinning later and he’s ready to go!

Avery and I planned to leave after the boys since we didn’t to be out in the cold for so long (it was in the low 30s).  Honestly, she and I got out of the house about 10 mins later than I wanted to leave, but we were still on the road by 6:45. Yes, that’s AM. I had my parking plans all figured out, and then I hit a race road closure. And then another. And then another.  Here Avery and I are circling Cameron Village, trying to find a parking place.  I eventually find one about 2 blocks east of CV. It’s 7 minutes until start time and we are 0.7 miles away (I just Google mapped it).  I jump out, assess the situation for no parking signs, grab the stroller with a wobbly wheel and all our stuff, get Avery zipped up in her coat and gloves (but not me!) and off we go. Did I mention it was mainly an uphill sprint for us(me)? Over awful, tree root cracked sidewalks? People were actually laughing at me.  Mainly because Avery is screaming at me to slow down!! Or she’s constantly dropping stuff. 

I was a little sweaty when we got there!


BUT, we make it. We get to the starting line right as they are saying “runners take your mark….”.  I didn’t actually see Will start the race but I knew right where he was standing because Matt was right beside him.

So we hook up with Matt and after fighting off the urge to puke from my cold weather, asthmatic self sprint, I get to work on my signs for Will. Not time like the present, huh!?!??  I am just finishing the signs when the first runners crest the hill towards the finish line.

This is where I insert why I will never win parent of the year!  It was really cold that morning. Will had been in a really strange mood all day on Saturday,  got up really early on Sunday and then had to exercise. I honestly didn’t have high hopes for the day.  He had told me about all the practicing he was doing…running 23 laps around the school track, etc… When I asked him who counted and he said he did, well, you know…I sort of discounted him.  I actually had already played the morning out in my head, which concluded with him being one of the last to cross the finish line with a counselor walking with him.

And then low and behold, I look up and see a pair of red NCSU pants (of course). Someone was blocking my view of his face, so I didn’t think it was really him at first. But wouldn’t you know, there he was……..He finished in the top probably 30 or so of 300. My little barely 6 year old! I was immensely proud of him. In fact, I bawled right there in front of the Bell Tower while hugging his neck so tight. This was something he wanted to do. He sought it out. Practiced. And he did great!

Some of the pics are blurry! I think I was jumping up and down too much! Look how big everyone else near him was!



 

Water break on the steps of the Bell Tower.

 

Sissy was only a LITTLE excited for him!
 

We forgot to bring him a coat! Oops! So he wore my big coat, which I thought looked like a big parka that athletes wear!

After the celebration and watching fellow friends cross the finish line, he pipes up “I passed Dunkin’ Donuts on my run and it was open. Can we go get some more breakfast?”  Yes, we can Runner Boy, yes we can!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! So proud of him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of Will! that is awesome! And he spotted Dunkin Doughnuts! Awesome. love your kids :)

    ReplyDelete