background

Saturday, January 11, 2014

New Year’s Eve 2013

Matthew and I rung in 2014 at one of my favorite places on earth with some of my favorite people on earth…..The Avett Brothers concert with the McLamb’s!!

20140101_003541_resized

Is it possible to photo bomb a picture you are already in, MATT?!?!?!

 

It’s no secret my heart lies with TAB (The Avett Brothers for all you non-fans out there) and we rung in 2013 with them as well. And since they will be in Raleigh for NYE 2014, well, guess where I will be then!! 

Matt and I arrived in Charlotte mid-afternoon after a quick stop at the outlets in Mebane. He is such a good husband….the stop was actually his idea!  We hung out in the room a bit…we were staying at a hotel directly beside the concert venue which was sooooooo nice…..No driving after the concert with all the crazies.

But speaking of crazies, there were people swimming in the outdoor pool. And not just once over the 24 hour period we were there. Sure, they were like 12. But still….it was COLD.

The concert wasn’t without craziness…..between the opening act and TAB, a GIANT disco ball fell from the “sky” and busted through the stage. Thank goodness no one was hurt and the show was able to go on. But it was crazy.  Although it did make for some cool lighting effects through out the show!

photo 2 (2)

Other drama included the 2 old people behind us who were mad as h*ll the entire show that we wouldn’t sit down during the concert and then the young girl in front of us who puked her brains out about 11PM. Thankfully not onto me!!

I was at an interesting crossroads that night…..being called a “drunk” by the old people behind me (I am/was most certainly NOT that).  And then being called “ma’am” by some of the younger folks beside us when they asked me to pick up something that had dropped near me. Ha!!! 

The obligatory grainy iPhone pic from too far away!

photo 1 (2)

All in all, I think the concert was good. It wasn’t great, and it certainly wasn’t a great NYE celebration. Last year’s show was a million times better. Not sure what was “off” or “missing” this year but something was. That being said, TAB always puts on an amazing performance and hearing their music live is just plain awesome.

Jon, me, Elizabeth and Elizabeth’s twin sister, Marsha. I love that girl too!

photo 3 (2)

It was actually sad to see 2013 slip away. It was the last year my father was alive. I am now officially in a year that he hasn’t been in. That is weird. But what do we do? We just march on. One day at a time. One foot in front of another. Each passing day presents new challenges and hurdles. But I’m one day stronger and one day wiser.

Hello, 2014.

1 comment: