background

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

First Week Recap

Before we get the 2nd week under our belts, I better hurry up and recap Will’s first week of kindergarten!

In a nutshell, he did great and he loves it!! As in jumps out the car in the mornings and runs into school. But not without this cute little excited wave good-bye that he remembers to do about halfway up the sidewalk.  I am beyond thrilled that he enjoys it.

He also loves the after-school program with the Y….probably even loves that more than school. Ha!

A few things to remember about his first week of school:

-He loves to be surprised by what I pack for his lunch and snacks. Doesn’t want me to tell him about them before hand.

-He is learning to spell and read every day and loves to show off his skills at night

-They made a special snack the first week….a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Tree. Yours truly provided the tree trunks (aka pretzel sticks!)

-He misses Avery a lot and is yelling hello to her in the afternoons as he runs to the car. He hops in and kisses her first. Sorry for the hold up, car pool lane!!  I may get a hello from him if I'm lucky!

-They use the green/yellow/red stop light system for behavior. Being the true Wolfpacker that he is, it took a little convincing that in this instance, we really DON’T want to be red!!!

His teacher has a great website that she updates frequently, which is just wonderful for someone like me who sits in front of a computer all day long.  I already know some topics to talk to him about in the afternoon instead of just the generic “how was school?” question.   I can sign up for things the class needs for special snacks, etc….

Surprisingly he is the only Will in his class. Between Sunday School and pre-school, there have always been multiple Will’s!

Me, I’m adjusting….I seem to finally be getting in a routine of getting lunch and snacks packed and getting all the nightly paperwork reviewed, initialed, etc….  He doesn’t have official homework yet, but his teacher, via her wonderful website, still lists some things to work on during the week at night. I’m still trying to figure out how to best squeeze those in at night but luckily so far he pretty much already knows how to do everything she has suggested. So I don’t feel so guilty about not doing it!!!!

Avery is adjusting too. She actually has done better at school without him that I thought she would because they did see each other a lot during the day. She really wants all the new stuff though. Like the backpack and lunch bags, etc... 

We’re over a week into this already….before I know it he will be going to college!

2 comments:

  1. LOL on the not wanting to get a red. We wolf Packers live breath and eat wolf pack red. I am so thrilled he loves school and that sweet wave will vpbe in your mind's forever
    Hugs to you all
    Love Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction
    Will be in your mind's eye forever
    Auto correct on my iPad will be my undoing

    ReplyDelete