background

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Mini-vacay


We took a quick mini-vacation last weekend to the Charlotte area.  My dad has always been a big NASCAR fan and when he was sick this summer, he and Will would lounge on the sofa and watch the races together. They like opposing drivers, so just listening to them was entertainment.  Dad really wanted to take Will to a race and while a year ago I would have protested, well, this time around I obliged.  We all decided to make the trip, with just the boys going to the race. To make it even more fun, we decided to stay at the Great Wolf Lodge so we could enjoy the water park

First trip in the WAY back!!


We hit the road bright and early and stopped about midway for some breakfast!! It was the first Waffle House experience for the children (and maybe even me!??!). They ate fast because they love syrup!

 We did a little shopping at Bass Pro Shop and Concord Mills before check-in. Avery picked out her Christmas present!

 We hit the water park after lunch for a few hours. It was sooo much fun! Will was in heaven because he is a huge thrill seeker.  Avery, who is the exact opposite, had fun, but not on such a grand scale. Avery also doesn’t like water spraying or dropping on her unexpectedly and unfortunately even the kiddie area was plagued by this. But she still had a good time.











After a little rest in the room, the boys headed off to the race around 5 or so and us girls hit the highway and headed down to Ikea. It was our first experience there…what an overwhelming place! I wish I had taken our picture there.



The boys had so much fun at the race. I didn’t realize that Matthew had never been to a race before and he seemed to have so much fun!

Of course Miss Avery was “up and at ‘em” bright and early the next morning…of course she was in bed at her normal 7:30 bed time so why not!?!?!  Hot cakes at Mickey D’s for breakfast (more syrup!) and we hit the waterpark again for a few hours before heading back to Raleigh. Honestly, I was glad to leave because between walking Concord Mills entirely too many times from one end to the other and then climbing the steps up to the slides over and over at the water park, my legs were DONE!!!! Obviously I am getting too old! I know 2 other people who were worn out!!


I’m so glad we got to take this trip….events of the last few weeks have reminded me that you never know when your time on this earth will be cut short so while the trip was exhausting and all that, it was a wonderful memory to make.  I never knew any of my grandfathers as they all died before I was born so to know that Will and Avery will have memories I never was able to have makes me so happy for them. They are lucky kids to have all 4 grandparents!

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Janie
    I is I Madi,the Diva Cat, I would like to rent precious Avery and handsome Will so that my mom and dad can go to Great Wolf Lodge. She wants to go but says she'd feel silly w/o munchkins!!
    Great times for all.

    We are so sorry to read about your the saddness in your circle of friends.
    Hugs and Love Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete