background

Sunday, January 23, 2011

No Mo' Snow!!

I am about to get pounded
 In my 30+ years on this beautiful earth, I have never seen it snow as much in one winter as it has this year. If you want to get real technical about it, the first few snows we had were actually in the fall season. Whatever. I am so over it.

This time around the snow was really  unexpected....because we are at the beach! Raleigh got no snow! I had planned to go to Wilmington on Friday to visit my godson and his wonderful family, but with Avery a few days into RSV and an ear infection, and not to mention that she had been exposed to pink eye at school which coincidentally canceled my last trip to Wilmington, I decided mid-week to not go and spread our germs.  To little people, that is. So on Thursday we decided we would go to Beaufort for the weekend. I didn't check a forecast; it is the beach...it is always warm(ish).

Us girls stayed inside most of the time
It started snowing early Saturday, maybe 8-ish? It didn't stop until probably 7PM! The final tally was about 6.5 inches. Of course I didn't bring any snow appropriate clothes for the kids. Matt didn't even bring a coat for himself!!!!!! To say we were unprepared is an understatement. Will and Matt did get out and play for about 5 minutes, but tennis shoes and track pants just won't cut it! Saturday we were stir crazy and also worried about not being able to get home on Sunday.

We awoke to a beautiful, sunny day on Sunday. Who am I kidding...it was pitch black when Avery starting yelling for me at 6AM. But you know what I mean. We still needed to wait for the sunshine and warmer temps to melt some of the snow so once again, we were stuck in the house. Ironically, one of our main reasons for going to Beaufort was to get a change of scenery since we had been stuck in our house so much this very cold winter. The change of scenery ended up being just a different set of 4 walls.

Avery preferred the comfort of a roof over her head
And then around mid-morning the roar of a 4x4 truck was heard and it was our heroes of the day: Matt & Aimee. And a four wheeler! PTL, we got Will out of the house and he was able to enjoy the snow but still stay dry in his inappropriate clothing. We even took Avery for a walk down to the river. No 4 wheelin' for her....she didn't like the noise.
Can I drive Uncle Matt?
Our hero, Uncle Matt and Will
Will gets Uncle Matt right in the chest
It was so beautiful at the river
Before we left, my fun husband had to make the world's largest (ok, not really) snowman. It fell twice and this was the end result that finally stood up.
The master craftsman

Thank goodness other than pulling out of the neighborhood onto the highway, we didn't have any more problems for the rest of the trip.  I am glad to be back in cold Raleigh, which has more snow in the forecast for this week!!

Lindy says, "I don't do cold."
Oh sunny, summer days, where are you?

2 comments:

  1. LOL!!! Oh my gosh when we rec'd the email from M saying they had 5" of snow in MHC and it was still snowing I thought I was dreaming!!!

    Holy smoke. I hope you didn't bring that coastal snow bug back to Raleigh..I've had enough to the mess too.
    Love Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. we missed seeing you last weekend! I still can't believe how much snow they had at the beach!

    ReplyDelete