background

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What a week

What a week. And it is only Wednesday.

Monday was a bad day. And a good day. A big day in my career. Sort of. Let's put it this way: a day I will never forget.  Monday my employer announced they were merging with another (out of town) company. Yeah, it probably makes good business sense. From an employee sense it, well, stinks.  Since I don't want to move, chances are I won't have a job when all is said and done. So a bad day. The plus side is that deals like this take a long time in my industry so I have at least several months to come up with a plan and figure out what I want to be when I grow up. So a good day.

Now I know in the big scheme of things this isn't monumental. I know that I am still lucky to be sitting pretty in a high rise office building, collecting a paycheck every 2 weeks. That is truly a luxury not everyone can say they have experienced in the last few years. I have my family and my health. I have a roof over my head at night and food on my table every day. Matt and I can financially handle a sticky situation like this for a short time period. But it is still sad and scary to all of a sudden not know what the future holds. To brush the dust off of suits tucked back in the closet (and pray they still fit!) and try to sell myself to a stranger sitting across a conference room table.

Internet rumors actually broke a few days before so I had myself a good pity party over the weekend. For the most part I snapped myself out of it by Monday morning. God doesn't give you more than you can handle. Just looking around the room, I can see I have so much to be thankful for. And if I ever forget that, I have this fortune cookie fortune sitting at my desk to remind me of that very thing.

Who knows, this may end up being the best day of my life. The day where I was allowed to make a change, with no strings attached, and maybe find complete career bliss. Or career-less bliss. Who knows. In my relatively short, 9-ish years in the workforce, I have a seen a lot. Just a couple of weeks before I officially started my career, the 9/11 tragedy happened, which had a profound impact on the business world. A few short months later, the first of many financial catastrophes (Enron) occurred, which had a profound impact on my profession as well as my industry. But Monday was the first event that had a profound impact on Me. Myself. And I.


Plus, I had to change like 2 passwords and that was a pain to deal with all day long!!! Since then we've also been dealt a hand of winter weather and I've had a stomach bug. Did I mention it is only Wednesday??

2 comments:

  1. LOL Janie...if nothing else you are a great Optimist!!!! What a great well written post!!!
    I totally agree with you who knows what else is out there and possibly you one day will be able to send PE a thank you note for the gently push to find out.

    Oh my gosh I had no idea you caught the tummy bug...I guess it was just a matter of time with both of the little ones having it.
    Love C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post and I love you!:)

    ReplyDelete